Monday, December 15, 2008

At Home

today is a freakishly warm day out. as in, in the 60s. as in, 30 degrees warmer than yesterday.

inside the house, though, it is the same temperature. hovering around the low 60s.

i needed to print out a form and fax it. there are four computers in this house: charlotte (my laptop), my sister's computer with the mouse on a slide-out thing on the desk that always falls down, my dad's computer that he sets to super magnification because he's nearly blind, and he has an ergonomic keyboard and mouse. it's weird. the keyboard looks like this:my mom's laptop is downstairs and painfully slow (i think it's windows 2000). my sister's computer is painfully slow because it's vista without enough RAM. my dad's computer has a laser printer connected, and my mom's has the scanner/printer attached to it. we don't keep ink in the scanner/printer because we're cheap.

As summarized by my conversation with Angela:
me: i just took way too long to fax a form
Angela: what happened?
me: oh, the usual
print out form from my dad's computer
fill it out
scan it with my mom's computer
email it to my computer
print to pdf
Angela: jesus
me: fax with faxzero.com

Total Time: 30 mins

why, you may ask, did i not use the fax machine in the basement? well, my dears, that is because we're too cheap to have long distance on our land line, and so i can't fax from the fax machine. we do use it as an answering machine, though.

in other news, i put a garmin up on ebay (my dad got it as a gift and he doesnt even use the one I got him for father's day) and it has three bids! exciting! money from the sale goes to that pretty little hard drive i've been eyeing :-)

so i got an oil change a couple weeks ago, and on the invoice they gave me a long list of stuff i should get fixed. now, i drive about 100-200 miles a month. since i started driving the car, i've only gone through two and a half tanks (since end of september). Holly said i needed to replace stuff that was leaking (valve cover gasket, coolant from the oil filter housing). i took the invoice to ask my dad what to do. he said "welcome to the world of car ownership" and told me everything would be expensive. good thing i forgot to ask somebody who actually knows stuff about cars.

side note: coolant is leaking from the oil filter housing? is coolant even supposed to be there?

1 comment:

Q said...

omfg -- sounds like my house -- there's my laptop from college with a broken monitor -- so it has to be hooked up to the TV, my mom's work that can't get into the wireless internet at home, my work computer that doens't get facebook, or PDF's (don't ask) and then there's the house computer that runs on vista -- and i don't know how to use vista...

tg the only thing i do on any of these computers is play with the internet....