Tuesday, May 19, 2009

#2: Make a full-size quilt

This was a long time coming. I got the idea to make one probably last May. After considering buying a rotary cutter and a cutting mat, I ended up just buying all the fabric squares (on eBay, of course) at the beginning of summer. I pieced the top when I had free time (you know, between work and all those dinner parties:-D) over the summer, and ended the summer looking like this:
I was totally going to finish it and give it to Stephen for our anniversary (October), but that didn't happen. I brought it home over Thanksgiving break to add the grey border, when I discovered that the grey squares were a different size than all the other squares, so they didn't all line up perfectly. Travesty!

So then it was going to be a Christmas present. I bought a couple yards of cushy blue fleece and some batting to puff it up.

It sat in my room...okay...Valentine's present!

Nope.

Finally, I got my ass in gear for Stephen's birthday (May 3)...and finished it!

YAY

That is Stephen holding it up way over his head. It's quite a bit larger than I thought it would be, which of course is a good thing. To quilt it, I hand-tacked the sandwich together every other corner. I didn't want to quilt the thing and go crazy over the tetris design, and the tacking is practically invisible. On the fleece side, it looks almost tufted.

Nobody reading this knows what tufted means.

Coming soon: #65: Bounce around on a trampoline

1 comment:

Sonha said...

Cute! I am impressed.